The exact nature of the 108 Stars is unknown, but they have been known to gather and make themselves known during times of great turmoil and upheaval. They are often listed on the Stone Tablet of Promise.
Zenoa would claim that the Stars were something akin to spirits or deities (though more abstract than any personified spirit), entities who could "overlap", in a sense, with compatible individuals, lending them their power, including the Mark of the Stars. As such, people are often stated to "hold", "host" or "be" a Star, or Starbearer.
It would also be said that the Stars represented the many differing potentials of mankind. It has been remarked that the Stars are the lights which shine upon the paths of the world.
The Stars exist in all universes of the Infinity and possess various powers and abilities. It has been speculated that changing direction in life suddenly, or merely being connected to the paths the Stars shine upon, would make a person eligible to become a Star. However, as Stars do not communicate in any comprehensible manner, this is purely speculation.
Fukien would show some understanding of the 108 Stars, being aware of his own status as the Chijyu Star. He was also able to correctly identify McDohl, Cleo and Viktor's Stars. He would refer to them being collectively born "under" certain Stars, implying a certain astrological component to his interpretation.
Leknaat, meanwhile, would describe the assembled 108 Stars of the Toran Liberation Army as stars that freely traveled across the skies. Previously, during the Sun Rune War, Leknaat had described the stars as "guides", noting that destiny did not shape people's lives.
Interactions with True Runes
She would also state that uniting the Stars was what changed the Sun Rune from a destructive to a nurturing force at the climax of the Sun Rune War. A century earlier, she had claimed the same thing as regards the Rune of Punishment and its shift to "atonement".
Interactions with Chronicles
Starbearers interacting with Chronicles therefore is what grants a Starbearer the power of the Mark of the Stars.
The 108 Stars have gathered several times. Every recorded gathering has been during a time of great turmoil, with potential greater ramifications beyond the scope of the temporal conflict. This usually involves the 27 True Runes, as powerful runes tied to the very nature of the world.
Elsewhere in the Infinity, the 108 Stars gathered many times in countless wars against the One King, a being determined to compress existence to a single world with a single destiny. The One King would eventually be defeated, after the loss of countless worlds and Starbearers in the process.
Another world of the Infinity saw at least two gatherings of the 108 Stars. The first saw the Stars gathered to fight against an oppressive empire, only for that empire to unleash an unstoppable weapon, the Teras Pharma, which would wipe out the 108 Stars before going on to destroy the civilization that created it.
Over 300 years later, the Stars would gather again, this time across the three centuries since their previous appearance, in order to free the destinies of those under the yoke of the Holy Empire of Ionia, which while originally founded to protect survivors from the Teras Pharma, now existed to perpetuate its existence in the name of maintaining order and security.
List of 108 Stars Per Game
- Suikoden II's Tengou Star Ridley can be replaced by Boris should the player progress to the end in the "running from Tinto" optional side-event but does not achieve a game over.
- Suikoden V's Tenfu Star is determined by which character the player recruits first. Recruiting one automatically locks out the other.
- Suikoden II's Tenman Star is determined by which two of the three potential animal characters the player recruits.
- Suikoden II's Tensyo Star is determined by whether the player chooses Valeria or Kasumi to join their force. Tomo will always take the slot of the character not chosen.
- Suikoden II's Tentai Star is determined by which two of the three potential animal characters the player recruits.
- Suikoden II's Chikyu Star is determined by whether the player chooses Valeria or Kasumi to join their force. Tomo will always take the slot of the character not chosen.
- Genso Suikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, page 772
- Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki The Perfect Guide (ISBN 978-4-04-886456-5), page 20
- Genso Suikoden Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki The Complete Guide (ISBN 978-4-04-886462-6), page 240